Saturday night, after returning home from a show at the Esplanade and a shower, I decided to make good use of the four sticks of Philadelphia cream cheese sitting in the fridge because they were close to expiring in a week.
I started the only way I knew how. I googled “Cheesecake Recipe” and checked against the ingredients I needed.
- 15 graham crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Laying out everything I need, so I don't run around like a headless chicken after
I have a habit of keeping the recipe in front of me while I bake because my memory stinks. Butter, sugar, flour, milk and eggs were basics I already had. I had to run down to 7-11 to buy digestive biscuits to form the base. I didn’t have sour cream, so I googled its substitute. Simple. Simply add lemon or vinegar into milk and you’ll get buttermilk, which you can replace for sour cream.
1. For the uninitiated, crush biscuits with a rolling pin and mix with melted butter. Be a little more generous with your butter so the crumbs stick. Press into the bottom of a springform pan. Tip: While warming the butter, I lay the sticks of cream cheese around the stove so it becomes softer.
Four sticks, no more and no less
Calories-scary but don't falter
2. In a big bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar. Blend in milk, and mix one egg in at a time. Throw in sour cream, vanilla extract and flour.
Thumb-twiddling part of baking
3. Bake in preheated oven for an hour. When ready, let it cool for another hour before setting it in the fridge for 5-6 hours. I had extras of biscuits and batter, so I put them into little aluminium cups.
NY Cheesecake! 😀
4. Dig in and enjoy : )